Friday, August 22, 2008

I Can't Believe He Did It

In June I surprised Papa Wonder with, if I do say so myself, an awesome date night. He responded and frankly, I don't think I can top it.

On my last day of my maternity leave, Papa came home with a dozen roses and two cards-one from the kids and one from him. When I opened the card from him there was a folded piece of paper. I opened it and froze. I literally sat there for five minutes reading the note again, and again. Finally, he asked me if I was OK. I sat there in complete shock and not able to move or say anything. We were going to New York for a weekend getaway! A weekend that would be just the two of us.

Can you believe it? He surprised me with a trip to NYC to celebrate our 9 year wedding anniversary! He arranged everything including for me to have a day off from work, his parents and sister to watch the kids, the hotel, and even dinner at an awesome restaurant.

We take turns planning our anniversaries. Last year we went to the Minnesota State Fair. While I love fried food on a stick and the smell of horse barns, NYC wins the coolest anniversary game hands down. We went to a Yankee's game and enjoyed a cold beverage, hot dog, and popcorn while we waited out the rain delay in the upper deck tunnel. It would have been nice if the weather would have been better, but we didn't care. We were at Yankee Stadium.

Once the rain lifted we made our way to our seats. It is really an awesome place and there wasn't a bad seat in the house. As I looked around and took in the crowd I did have to do a double take when I saw this man. It did make me throw up a little bit.



After the game we found a really cool diner in Times Square where the wait staff sings. It was like watching a Broadway show while eating onion rings. Does life get any better? I guess it did get better when they brought me my "Adult Milkshake." If you ever find yourself at this delightful little diner I recommend the White Russian. Yummy.


While were in NYC we stayed at the W Hotel. In a word-Trendy. It was a super cool place and the view wasn't bad from the 55th floor.

It was a whorl wind weekend that was over way too fast. It probably didn't help that we accidentally slept in to 11:00am on Saturday. We didn't think to set an alarm. In our defense, Boy Wonder has woken us up around 7am, if not earlier, for the past 3 years and it didn't occur to us that we even had the physical ability to sleep past 8am anymore.

NYC is such and amazing city. There is something for everyone. For us it had shopping in SoHo and Chinatown (I love to barter), dinner in Tribeca with Scott's work associates, a Sunday morning walk around the Upper East Side and 5th Ave, and breakfast in Central Park.

The best part was being with my best friend who I love so much! Thanks for making me the luckiest girl in the whole world. Not because you surprise me with great trips, but because I get to share my life with you. Happy Anniversary!



1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Keep being a great couple.
Mom Z